How to Properly Measure
Manufacturers estimate that approximately 80% of American women are wearing the wrong bra size. At Trousseau, we specialize in fit.
Many of the customers who walk through our door for the first time are wearing the wrong size bra. Once we help them find the right bra fit, they leave feeling like a new woman.
A properly sized bra should fit smoothly and comfortably. It should feel nonrestrictive, with good support, lift and containment.
A bra fitting at Trousseau can take just a few minutes. Allow yourself more time to try on all the pretty possibilities!
At Trousseau, a good fitting bra starts with an accurate band measurement. Curious? Grab a tape measure and snugly measure around your rib cage just below the bust making sure that the tape measure is smooth and flat all the way around you. Take this number and add 5 inches to determine your band size. For example, if you measure 27", then you are a 32 band size, 29" and you are a 34 band size, etc.
This measurement serves as a guideline. The most common mistake made by women is too large a band size and too small a cup size.
The letter in a bra size refers to the fullness of the cup. Because of great variety in breast shape, it is nearly impossible to accurately measure for cup size. We suggest trying on several cup sizes in the proper band size while checking the following criteria:
- The centerpiece of the bra should be close to the breastbone, if it is pulling away the cup size is too small.
- The bottom of the bra should fit snugly against the ribcage. If the bra is pulling away from the body, the cup size is too small.
- The bra underwire should come just to the edge of the breast tissue. If it is too far forward, you need a bigger band size. If it is too far back, you need a smaller band size.
- The cups should fit smoothly. There should be no extra room and there should be no pushover.
- Adjust the straps for lift and balance. (Every woman is a little fuller on one side than the other).
Remember that not every bra style is for every body. Let our fitters help you find the perfect ones for you!